Wednesday, September 7, 2011

110907. Psalm 62


110907
Tonight has been a little different.  Much happened to today that was very exciting, but tonight someone has been lurking around outside my window.  I think once they tried to open my door because I heard the deadbolt hit the lock. It’s a sound you don’t mistake, hollow and echoing in the house.
I haven’t seen them, because it is black as can be outside and they are such dark skinned people, beautiful as they are. 
I can, however, hear them.  I hear their footsteps.  I hear them trying to walk softly, but the loose gravel defies them.
I know their eyes are on me. It’s a feeling.  I can’t see them, but I’m pretty certain they are watching me. They have the advantage of a night vision not rotted by decades of street lights and TV and passing cars with their brights on.  I’m sure I light up like a Lite Brite.
Have I ever mentioned how faithful a good dog is?  
Well the next door neighbors both have one.  The roosters are quiet, the frogs are silent, the rest of Haiti is hushed in an unnatural way, but those dogs, Oh those faithful, mangy mutts...Man’s best friend!  They are growling and barking away.  
And I know that kind of bark, whether it’s under a Palm in Haiti or in the grasslands of South Dakota, it means just one thing.  “There’s someone here that isn’t supposed to be!  On your guard!”
I say out loud, “Bondye ap gaden ou!”  And it gets really quiet. (God is watching you.)
I say a little prayer, and ask the Lord to protect me.  Then I take out my machete and begin to sharpen it, loudly.
“Ou vinne?   Mwen pre.  Ou pre, oswa ou pa?” 
(You coming?  I’m ready.  You ready, or not?)
I don’t know much Creole, but what I do know seems to get the point across.
Again it’s quiet.  
I know that there may be some curiosity.  Maybe it’s a kid, wondering what I’m up to.  Maybe not.  Either way, what I read in devotion is what matters the most.
“My soul finds rest in God alone;
my salvation comes from Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will never shaken.
How long will you assault a man?
Would all of you throw him down---
this leaning wall, this tottering fence?
They fully intend to topple him
from his lofty plae;
they take delight in lies.
With their mouths they bless,
but in their hearts they curse.
Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
He is my might rock, my refuge. 
Trust in Him at all times, O people;
pour out your hearts to Him,
for God is our refuge.
Lowborn men are but a breath,
the highborn are but a lie;
if weighed on a balance, they are nothing;
together they are only a breath.
Do not trust in extortion
or take pride in stolen goods;
though your riches increase,
do not set your heart on them....”
and then there’s the kick.... you ready for it?
“One thing God has spoken,
two things have I heard;
that YOU, O God, are strong,
and that YOU, O Lord, are loving.
Surely YOU will reward each person according to what he has done.” David wrote that, when he was sick of being hunted.  When he was tired of men seeking his untimely demise, thinking if they just had what he had, they’d finally be somebody, he reminded them of something.....
Oh yes,
God is watching you my friend, and it’s His to reward, or it’s His to repay.  Choose today with whom you stand! You listening man outside my window.   Of what account are you? You are nothing but the breath in your nostrils.
I talked to three men about starting weekly discipleship.
I also met about a dozen men who work for Shane, men who Shane would like to start discipleship with, in morning studies.   
The fields are ripe.
I handed out 4 bibles today.  
One to a man named Scut (sounds like Scoot).  He’s an engineer.
One to a man name Edens (he builds houses)
One to a momma name Tililene, (she cooked for me today)
and one to a man with a name that starts with an M.  It’s escaped me, so I’ll have to ask tomorrow for him to spell it.
Many men have come looking for work, and they seem to think I’ll be very busy and I’ll need a great deal of help, but I tell them it’s not very difficult to do what God has called me to.  Bringing bibles and starting discipleship isn’t something a guy needs a great big staff on hand to carry out.  It requires two hands and two feet, and the ability and guts to Go.  It requires hearts that are desperate for Jesus, and men who will be faithful and obedient to live His message and commands. They are welcome to reproduce what I’m doing, but their reward may not be something they ever see here on Earth.  
We can be certain though, that the Owner of the Harvest will certainly reward His workers.  Pretty sure that check won’t bounce, and pretty sure it won’t be a check :)  It will be something of eternal value.  Something better than gold.  Something better than riches and material goods.  
Can you just not wait!?   It’s like the Christmas gifts of all Christmas gifts, and there’s no getting up in the middle of the night to do surgery on the present under the tree!  There’s no splicing the scotch tape,  no peeling back and corners just far enough to read a few letters on the box.... 
as my Mom used to say with a wink....”We’ll just have to wait ‘n’ see!”   

No comments:

Post a Comment