Friday, October 21, 2011

Tatsi and Abby

To the Haitians, if it's cloudy and rainy, it's time to be indoors, warm, dry and cooking, maybe with some coffee or hot tea.  Swimming is not anywhere near the top of their list, so I was surprised when my daughter asked Tatsi to go swimming and she agreed.  Abby grabbed her big brother's goggles and into the ocean they plunged. Tatsie loved looking under the water.  She'd dive down under the waves, and when she'd resurface, her smile was priceless.


I think she went swimming with my daughter out of pure etiquette.  In short, the foreigner asked, and so she was obliged to do the neighborly thing and accept.
They understand this act of love so much more than we do.   Giving of yourself, dying to yourself, looking out for the interests of others, more than your own...
It's something we have to be taught in our Bibles, because we're taught to look out for Number 1, and we live in a world of Me's....
How often have I heard myself saying, "No. I don't really feel like doing that right now.  I'm not in the mood.  I'm busy."
But to a Haitian it's different.
Hospitality is something natural in the Haitian culture.




If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like–minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.' Phil 2:1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment