Friday, October 7, 2011

The Pipeline of Grace...

Today it is pouring outside.   Heavy sheets of rain are falling.
I was thinking about the well, about the natural spring that the villagers use here.  My mind was dwelling on the different options.  Part of me plays the advocate.  Did I come here for Bibles, or to dig wells and lay pipe?  


The other side of me answers, almost stubbornly,  “You came to bring the Gospel, the Good News....to share the world’s greatest treasure!” 
I remember Rober’s face, twisted up with emotion as he tried to explain to me about the bad pipes.  That same man stopped at my house today and gave me a fresh cut of his figs, from his “garden” up on the mountain.  He wants so badly to see it happen.  


He told me of a new kind of PVC pipe that they make in America, that can withstand the river current and won’t get broken up.  He said it’s very expensive.  


I decided I needed to lift up praise to God. 
So I’m listening to a song called I Refuse.  
The words haunt my thoughts.  They resound in my soul.  If you can imagine water on a bass drum, dancing to life with every beat, those are the words of this song to my heart.  They make me dance.


‘Sometimes I...
I just want to close my eyes
And act like everyone's alright
When I know they're not


This world needs God
But it's easier to stand and watch
I could say a prayer and just move on
Like nothing's wrong


But I refuse
'
Cause I don't want to live like I don't care
I don't want to say another empty prayer
Oh, I refuse
To sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself
Oh, I could choose
Not to move but I refuse


I can hear the least of these
Crying out so desperately
And I know we are the hands and feet
Of You, oh God


So, if You say move
It's time for me to follow through
And do what I was made to do
Show them who You are


'Cause I don't want to live like I don't care
I don't want to say another empty prayer
Oh, I refuse
To sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself
Oh, I could choose
Not to move but I refuse


To stand and watch the weary and lost
Cry out for help
I refuse to turn my back
And try and act like all is well


I refuse to stay unchanged
To wait another day, to die to myself
I refuse to make one more excuse
'Cause I don't want to live like I don't care
I don't want to say another empty prayer
Oh, I refuse


To sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself
Oh, I could choose
Not to move but I refuse
I refuse.
I refuse.’


Oddly enough, my little ipod is set to alphabetical, so as soon as this song finished and I’m shouting Amen in my spirit, I’m suddenly listening to a pastor giving the sermon titled ‘I Send You’:


“Listen to these words: As the Father sent Me, so I now send you.”  John 20:21.
As the Father sent Me...to do what? To bring the Gospel, the Good News of the Kingdom....I now am sending you.”


I keep listening.  I’m wide awake.  I’m paying close attention now...
“We have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace....” Rom. 5:1-2
The key word: access.
‘Faith is the access.  We have access to the grace, through faith.  You have a well in your house.  For some reason your well goes dry.  You have no water. But the city has a huge water tower, with millions of gallons of water flowing right in front your house....what do you do? You get a permit,
you go buy some PVC piping, to hook up your house to that main water line.  Now you have access.


What is faith?  It is the PVC piping that gives us access into this grace that I’ve been preaching about!  
Simply put, faith is the pipeline of grace.


God is able to make all grace abound to you.  What’s the one element we need?  


Faith.

Faith is the determining factor of whether we do or do not partake of grace."

No comments:

Post a Comment