Monday, April 1, 2013

Sweeter


The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the Lord are sure and altogether righteous.
They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. ~Psalm 19

I like to pay attention when the authors of the Bible try to describe something near unfathomable to man.  In Haiti, I've had fresh honey, given to me a few times as a gift from the mountain folk as a special way of thanks.  It's unique, and it's something only they can give from the bounty of their land, from the hives nestled high up in the hill country.  Usually it comes in an old rum bottle, because these beautiful people don't waste something as precious as a glass jar with a lid on it.  In fact the first time it was given to me I thought the smiling face in front of me was having a good laugh out of giving their local missionary a bottle of booze.  That was until they had me taste it.  
It was sweet and syrupy, fresh from the honeycomb, and I thought, as I've thought many times in Haiti in terms of bananas, mangos and such, I'd never really tasted honey until Haiti.   Everything there is so fresh and packed with flavor.  It isn't processed or formulated.  It's just the real deal, and in Haiti you experience it the way God intended it.   It leaves me thinking, Good Lord, if food tastes this good now, how amazing did it taste way back then for Adam & Eve, before the fall of man and the soaking of sin in the world?

This passage still draws the wonder from the child of my imagination.  I've had honey, freshly collected in the rum bottles of Haiti, but how sweet must the honey be, straight from the comb?  It must be awesomely rich and packed with flavor!  And then, how sweet of a picture is the Psalmist trying to paint to describe and impart to us in his understanding of just the laws of the Lord?  

His love is so beyond us.   His mercy and grace is so far-reaching we can't begin to comprehend, and that brings all of me, with my baggage and history, to one hope-filled peace.  His compassion for us is truly sweeter than the honey from the comb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment