Thursday, April 14, 2011

God's Blessed Assurance




I'm reminded of this man who scooted up a tree last month to get coconuts for us.   We were at the top of the mountain, exhausted and thirsty.  He even carved out little spoons with his machete, so we could dig out the meat of the fruit.  It was the perfect pick-me-up, drinking that sweet milk and refreshing our bodies.  'Natural Gatorade' they say.  It was a perfect example to me...

God doesn't call the equipped, he equips the called.

This morning on my way into the city, I began to worship as I was pulling out.  My window rolled down I heard the birds singing so sweetly and even remarked to Lord that I may as well shut up, because they are doing a much better job of it. 

Today was a vital reassurance from the Lord. Sometimes when we've been in the mire of battle, we come out of the skirmishes a little heavier than when we went in.  If we could but see the spiritual, we might be surprised to look down and see the many gashes, the wounds, the arrows cleaved and buried, a hairs-breadth from the major arteries.

Today, many men layed their hands on me and prayed over my family, and I could feel the Lord. He renewed me, refreshed me, he set me back upon my feet and gave me His charge to carry on.

On the way home, this song came flooding to my mind, filling my lungs and in turn the air, and my soul gave thanks to it's Maker. I thought of Haiti and the splendor of my King.  I remembered looking down from the mountain in Haiti, toward the sea. Feeling a tie to this foreign place.  Being thankful for the breeze, for the little cloud He placed in between me and the hot sun.  I remembered walking through the forests, the sharp leaves of the palms and the cactus slicing into me at every misguided turn.  No paths, no roads or guidance, just the feeling of how small I felt in such a place, how even though Haiti was small, how very small was I, and yet how Grand, How Great, How Beautiful, my God!  I knew He could see me. Because God is on the throne. Not that He was, or that He would be, but that He IS.  The Great I AM.

His Hands....Oh His Hands!  My only desire is to be found in them.  To be wrapped in them, to be under them, to be lifted by them, protected by them, guided by them, molded, caught by them, pointed, driven, and charged by them!

The prayers of these warriors, these faithful men, committed to the same King, minister to me, and the arrows are plucked and have fallen to the ground as refuse, where they belong. Their hands cover my wounds and the Living Word sears over the gashes.

In these moments I look down and imagine my sword.  My enemy sees it too, blindingly squinting as it glimmers in the reflection of the Light of my Commander. It will swing out upon the breadth, and the name of the Lord will be glorified.

How Great Thou Art
Lyrics ~ Carl Boberg, 1859 - 1940
English Translation ~ Stuart K. Hine, 1899 -


O Lord my God,
When I in awesome wonder
Consider all
The works Thy Hand hath made,
I see the stars,
I hear the mighty thunder,
Thy pow'r throughout
The universe displayed;

When through the woods
And forest glades I wander
I hear the birds
Sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down
From lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook
And feel the gentle breeze;

Then sings my soul,
My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul,
My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!


And when I think
that God, his son not sparing
sent him to die,
I scarce can take it in.
That on the cross,
my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died
to take away my sin.

When Christ shall come,
With shouts of acclamation,
And take me home,
What joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow
In humble adoration
And there proclaim,
"My God, how great Thou art!"

Then sings my soul,
My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul,
My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!

1 comment: