Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pure Gold


We went to see our sponsor girl Oberline today. She's a restavek, considered a slave. I'm not sure if it was the humidity or the heat, but it was one of the toughest hikes all year for my family. Even the Haitians walking on the trails today seemed to drudge with heavier labors. When we got to the top of the mountain where she lives, alot of the local people were lounging around, playing cards, relaxing, in the shade and having a nice Sunday afternoon...everyone except Oberline. We asked if she was home. "She's not here." they said to me as if it would be more of a surprise to see her relaxing as well. "She's off fetching water." That meant she was carrying a 5 gallon bucket up the mountain, balanced on her head. And I thought my little day-trip was difficult. We sat down to wait. When she arrived, we told her how much we loved her and would miss her over the summer. I asked how many buckets she has to get every day. "Only 2." she smiled. She just wanted to be hugged. Getting water is just one of her many chores.

If I could only make your muscles and joints ache through these words, you might understand how hot and tired she was, how hard her life is, and how much harder it's about to be... She's 13. One year older than my son. I know her life is not good, and there seems to be nothing I can do about it. My heart breaks over her.

My good friend told me tonight that soon she will start menstruation and 'things' will happen on the mountain. Not long from now she will have a baby, and she'll be just another young girl with a child and no husband, and no future. She's just a child herself, but she's developing, and with her father in Port-au-Prince and her mother dead, her chances are slim. It makes my stomach turn.

Last week Haiti once again suspended all new adoptions in the country, citing a backlog issue that's been developing since the earthquake 2 years ago. Please pray with us in finding some kind of alternative for this young girl. She is a light right now, and I'm frustrated that it's being snuffed out before my eyes. All this talk of the mining companies finding gold in Haiti, all these eyes blinking with dollar signs, and I say to anyone who'd listen, there's been gold in these hills all along, and it's not some stupid, shiny rock. The treasure of this nation is found in the hearts of kids like Oberline.





No comments:

Post a Comment