Saturday, March 31, 2012

La Bonne Nouvelle (The Good News)


We drove over to a clean beach to celebrate both my birthday and Torrey's return from Africa. It's only the 2nd time we've brought the family there. On this trip, Torrey had a flat, then his handlebars were coming off, then Tikilene showed up for work, then the bread lady came. It even started to look like it might rain and we thought about just calling it quits. But Kari had already gone on ahead of us with the kids, so we set our faces like flint and dead-headed for Port Salut. As soon as we got there, I met Joel and Yvonne Trimble. They've been missionaries here for over 30 years, and they run a TV show called La Bonne Nouvelle, the Good News. Joel relates a good story about Haiti to faith, and then wraps the show up with a food portion of the show, taste-testing all the different dishes of Haiti. It's a huge hit here, as all over the country they tune in to see what's on the menu.

Joel told me they were without a cameraman, and almost considered canceling their show in Port Salut, but that he'd really felt the Lord telling him to continue. They drove out to the beach, and there we met. I told him what I did for a living in the States, and a minute later I was filming for La Bonne Nouvelle. I have to admit, I loved it. Framing the shot, choosing the focus, finding the story, capturing the moment, and all with state-of-the-art video gear. It was a blast.

After we finished, we talked for a long time about ministry, and agreed to keep in touch. Joel prayed for my family and told me that I had no idea how God had used me that day, stepping in and reminding him that He has everything under control.

My wife shot this picture of me filming Joel and Yvonne for the final scenes, and then today we got a newsletter from their ministry with another shot of me filming. It was great fun, and we're looking forward to seeing the show once it's finished being cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment